There is no denying that one of the biggest challenges for society is sustainability, in all its forms. Climate change threatens both the planet and its people. People may struggle with inequality, poor financial health, and even a lack of basic human rights.
As the challenges increase, there’s a growing sense of urgency that governments and businesses have to step in and help tackle them. It’s clear that the world has changed, and banking needs to change with it. Growth at all costs can no longer be a goal. Sustainability is at the heart of what we do, because we have a responsibility to society to define new ways of doing business where planet and people are just as important as economic growth.
We must at the very least ensure that our own operational impact on the environment and people is being made responsibly. Looking inward, that means making sure our operations – our buildings, data centres and how we use transport – are in line with the low-carbon economy of the future. That our employees are treated well and that neither we nor our suppliers infringe on human rights.
But we can do more. As a global bank with billions flowing through our books, we have a huge opportunity – and responsibility – to make an impact for the better. Doing more than just mitigating harm by bringing aspects of fighting climate change and protecting human rights into our dialogue with clients and financing decisions.
ING wants to be a pioneer in defining new ways to do business. We want to be a banking leader in building a sustainable future for our company, our customers, society and the environment. How?
- We focus on climate action:
- We collaborate: working with clients to achieve their own sustainability goals, increasing our impact through partnerships and coalition-building.
- We manage the most relevant environmental and social risks while fostering the protection of biodiversity and human rights across all of our relationships.
- We’re working to advance financial health and inclusion for our customers and communities.
- And we empower our employees to contribute to it all.