Our own operations
Our own footprint
Climate change is an unparalleled challenge to our planet’s health and to the sustainability of societies and economies around the world.
We aim to contribute to the global transition to a low-carbon, climate-resilient economy. This starts at home by managing our own environmental footprint through our operations and suppliers.
We monitor and manage our environmental impact, and believe in being transparent about the climate impact of our operations. We invest in operational efficiency solutions and aim to source renewable electricity for the buildings we have management control over, using purchase agreements and renewable energy certificates (RECs). We also integrate sustainability in our procurement processes.
Our science-based targets help keep us on track, and our Environmental Programme aims to ensure we meet them.
- We aim to reduce our scope 1, 2, and scope 3 (business travel) emissions by 75% by year-end 2025 (base year 2014).
- We aim to reduce our scope 1 and 2 CO2e emissions from our buildings and data centres by 90% by year-end 2030 (base year 2014. This target would put us on track to with the globally required 45% reduction by 2030.
- Beyond 2030, we aim to reach net zero emissions in our buildings (rented and owned) by 2035, ahead of the 2050 global plan.
- We aim to source 100% renewable electricity each year for all ING buildings where we have management control worldwide, using RE100 technical criteria as a reference for reporting, (in 2022 we achieved more than 99%).
- We preferably procure green energy from local renewable projects: electricity supplied by energy sources that are naturally and continually replenished, such as wind, solar power, geothermal and hydropower.
- We aim to reach 90% electric vehicles in leased vehicles globally by 2030.