Climate change is an unparalleled challenge for our world, one where banks also have a role to play. ING plays its part in various ways.
In 2020, we reached 100% renewable electricity use for the first time and continued to see reductions in our operational emissions, but it’s not enough to only look inwards. As a bank, ING makes the most positive impact on climate action through our financing, via the money we loan to companies and customers. We are steering the most carbon-intensive parts of our loan book towards reaching net zero by 2050. We call this the Terra approach.
Climate action is important to ING and is covered in various parts of this website. For example, in information about our sustainability-linked financing, green bonds and our circular economy programme.
We know that transparency is an important aspect of sustainability, and have published a detailed breakdown of our portfolio by sector.
Our energy page also gives valuable insights, for example into our goal to reduce our financing to coal power generation to close to zero by 2025.
Climate adaptation is essential to take measures to reduce our vulnerability against the physical impact of climate change. We have an important role to play by reducing the physical risks impact on our portfolio and supporting clients and communities to adapt through finance.
You might also be interested in:
- ING in the media on this topic
- ING talks climate in Katowice at COP24
- An open letter from business to world leaders: “Be ambitious, and together we can address climate change” (External website)
- Banking on private finance to tackle the world’s water crisis
- Financiële instellingen willen samen klimaatverandering tegengaan; de Spitsbergen Ambitie (In Dutch only)
- Which European banks do the most to stop climate change? (External website)
- ING joins call global business leaders for greater disclosure of climate risks and opportunities (External website)
- ING named corporate leader on climate change
- Eye to eye with climate change
- Large companies want long-term climate legislation (External website)
- ING signee to the international CEO statement on climate change
- Open Letter from Global CEOs to World Leaders Urging Concrete Climate Action (External website)
- ING taking part in a joint climate statement with all Dutch Banks and reporting on progress (External website, in Dutch only)
- ING sells its first green bond amid high investor demand
- ING Economics Department report ‘Circular economy’ (External PDF 8 MB)
- ING Economics Department forecast on automotive sector (External PDF 0,4 MB) (in Dutch only)
- ING’s response to the Fair Finance Guide report on climate
- ING Economics Department report on water “Too little, too much” (PDF 0,5 MB)
- ING’s reaction to the NCP notification
- Reactie ING op ontvankelijkheid melding bij Nationaal Contact Punt (in Dutch)
- ING’s response to the admissibility of a notification to the National Contact Point
- "Are we doing enough"
- Our policies
- From theory to practice (examples)
- What do independent specialists say about sustainability and ING?
Mail to: Sustainability@ing.com